Vehicle Spotlight: 2020 GLS
It’s the SUV all other sport utility vehicles wish they could be.
Now the Mercedes-Benz GLS sets an even higher standard, with a spectacularly redefined interior, increased intelligence, an electrified engine, and features that redefine luxury driving.
The new GLS presents a more imposing exterior, thanks to its larger dimensions. But for drivers and passengers, those inches really add up inside: The cabin has never been so comfortable, with the second row, especially, gaining even more ample room. All three rows of seating are fully adjustable electronically, with the Easy Entry function allowing convenient access to the third row. Five-zone automatic climate control invites passengers to tailor the temperature to their own individual preferences. And E-ACTIVE BODY CONTROL creates a stable ride in any conditions.
The fluid interior design makes a modern statement, with a large media display commanding the dashboard. For the first time, the GLS has been equipped with the new MBUX infotainment system, allowing drivers to control the vehicle through natural voice commands or simple hand gestures. For the convenience of passengers, a 7-inch MBUX Android tablet can be used to control functions in the rear of the vehicle and is stowed discreetly in the second-row console. (The driver, of course, can assume control at any time.)
Thanks in part to the new 4MATIC® variable all-wheel drive, the GLS handles with more agility than ever, even as it’s more capable of taking things off-road. It’s the first Mercedes-Benz to introduce V8 and inline-6 engines enhanced with EQ Boost and a 48-volt electrical system. And when you’re ready to go from backroads to town, a new feature allows you to prepare for a car wash with one press of a button.
In short, this is the standard-bearing SUV thoroughly improved in exceptional ways — including some you probably never imagined.
- 3.0L inline-6 turbo engine with EQ Boost and 48-volt onboard electrical system (GLS 450)
- 4.0L V8 turbocharged engine with EQ Boost and 48-volt electrical system (GLS 580) 362 hp and 369 lb-ft of torque (450)
- 483 hp and 516 lb-ft of torque (580)
- EQ Boost can add an additional 21 hp and 184 lb-ft of torque (both models)
- 0–60 mph in 5.9 seconds (450)
- 0–60 mph in 5.2 seconds (580)
- Top speed of 130 mph (electronically limited)
- E-ACTIVE BODY CONTROL, all-new intelligent suspension
- Available 4MATIC®© variable-torque on-demand all-wheel drive
- Latest-generation Advanced Driver Assistance Systems
- Mercedes-Benz User Experience (MBUX) with Voice Control multimedia system based on artificial intelligence, including AMG®-specific features
- Ambient lighting with 64 colors
- New 19-21” wheels (450); 22-23” wheels (580)
- LED intelligent light system headlamps and LED taillamps
- Smartphone integration Enlarged Panorama roof with 50% larger viewing area
- Available as a 7-seater or a 6-seater with captain’s chairs
- Executive Rear Seat Package with large center foldable console and 7” MBUX Android tablet
- ENERGIZING Comfort feature with ENERGIZING COACH
- New Carwash function